Sunday, October 11, 2009
Color Weaving

One of the things that I'm really loving about weaving is how different yarns work together. When you mix yarns in crochet, you pretty much know what it's going to look like. When weaving, the colors combine in surprising and delightful ways.

I just started a new project, and it took me some time to figure out what yarns I wanted to use. For the warp I used a thread that is a mix of apricot and green shades (sounds odd, but it's nice). For the weft, I'm using Patons Shetland Chunky Tweeds in Deep Red.

I really wasn't sure how these two yarns would blend, and I was afraid that the red would make the thread look like mud. Instead, it brings out the warm yellow tones, and is blending beautifully!

In the photo, the colors appear more harsh than they do in real life - perhaps its because of the flash - when the project is done I'll have to photograph it in natural light. I'm hoping this will become a nursing shawl for Marine Corps Kids.


1 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

I LOVE THIS AS WELL. I'M SO GLAD YOU GOT THE NEW LOOM. YOUR WORK LOOKS SO GOOD I CAN'T BELEIVE YOU JUST STARTED.
I HAVE A FEW THINGS FOR MCK I'M GOING TO SEND LATER FOR CHRISTMAS. I THINK I'LL PUT A FEW PAIR OF SOCKS IN IT.
I HAD ALREADY THOUGHT ABOUT LIVIE LOOKING CUTE IN A PAIR MYSELF.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG