Sunday, July 26, 2009
Hairpin Lace Project 1 - the jury is still out



Still working on my first hairpin lace project. It's something new, so I don't expect to master it on the first try. I'm still using the terrible Boye Fork - I think I'll do better when my beautiful wooden loom arrives. I used a thick afghan yarn and made 5 strips - looks like I'll need 1 or 2 more strips to make anything remotely usable.

I love the technique. It's easy, and relaxing. I love the way the joining creates a pretty braid.

Problem..... I don't know that I like the look of the finished piece. I know that nicer yarn and more expertise will make my projects look better, but...... I think this is odd looking. I'll add two more strips and finish the edges. That might help. I'm sure it will look more "clean" and "finished" when the yellow guide yarns are removed. I'm just not sure I'm ever going to like it.

I'll post more photos when this one is done. And then I'll post projects 2 and 3. Hopefully by project 4 I'll have something pretty.


2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

That looks familiar... I thi I use to that as little girl. I remember the thing ( frame )you make it on. I'll have to check JoAnn's and see if they have one I can buy so I can try it again sometime.. :-)

Susan

Blogger Drea said...

I've tagged you for the Honest Scrap award. Check out my blog for details!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG