Friday, September 05, 2008
RIP Moshe
Earlier today I found out that Moshe Rosenthalis passed away. Moshe was a cousin of mine. Technically he was my 1st-cousin, once-removed, in-law. We lived on opposite side of the earth so we didn't know each other very well, but on the occasions when I met him, as a child and as an adult, he made a huge impression.

He had a wonderful sense of humor, a wonderful relationship with his family, and a huge spirit. He loved his wife, his children, his dogs, and he loved his art.

Moshe had an enormous gift. He was a world-renown artist. His art has been on display in some of the finest museums and galleries in the world. I don't have the vocabulary to describe the beauty of his paintings and sculpture. Whether or not you like his style, you must respect his accomplishments in the world of art. Personally, I loved his style. His work is dramatic, moving and inspiring.

When I was still in high school, Moshe saw my art portfolio. He invited me to work in his studio over the summer. What an opportunity that might have been, but I was a teen in New Jersey, and he was a famous artist in Israel. If I had the means to have gone, I certainly didn't have the guts.

Now he's gone, and considering that I really didn't know him all that well, I feel incredibly sad. Our family has lost someone special, and the entire world has lost an incredible talent. I suppose that one can gain immortality through their art, and it is my hope that Moshe's spirit will live forever as future generations enjoy the beautiful art he left behind.

Rest in peace, Moshe.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG