Tuesday, July 24, 2007
MZ Cap


This is a new pattern that I designed as a charity chemo cap. Depending on the colors used it can work well for men or women. It works up very quickly, too.


MZ Cap

Worsted Weight Yarn ( I used Bernat Denim Style) 2 colors
5.5mm hook

Start with chain 6 - join w/ slip stitch to make a loop

stitches used: ch, dc, hdc, sc, reverse sc, slip stitch
Note: chain 3 at beginning of each row counts as one dc.

Start with chain 6 - join w/ slip stitch to make a loop
1) 12 dc in loop (12 dc)

2) 2 dc in each dc of previous row (24 dc)

3) Chain 3, 2 dc in next, * dc in next stitch, 2dc in next* repeat around, slip stitch to join (36 dc)

4) Chain 3, dc in next dc, 2 dc in next, * dc in next 2 stitches, 2dc in next* repeat around, slip stitch to join (48 dc)

5) Chain 3, dc in next 2 dc, 2 dc in next, * dc in next 3 stitches, 2dc in next* repeat around, slip stitch to join (60 dc)

6) Chain 3, dc in each stitch around , slip stitch to join (60 dc)

7) Chain 3, dc in each stitch around , slip stitch to join and change to color b (60 dc)

8) with color B, ch 2, hdc around, join w/ slip stitch (60 hdc)

9) ch 1, sc around, join w/ slip stitch, change back to main color (60 sc)

10) with main color, ch 1, *sc in first 2 stitches, long sc in next stitch, repeat * * around, join w/slip stitch (60 sc)
(for long sc, do the stitch in the previous row)

11) chain 2, sc around, join w/ slip stitch, change back to color B (60 sc)

12) with color B, ch 1, *sc in first 2 stitches, long sc in next stitch, repeat * * around, join w/slip stitch (60 sc)

13) ch 2, hdc around, join w slip stitch, change to main color (60 hdc)

14) w/ main color, chain 3, dc around (60 dc)

15) ch 1 reverse sc around, join w/ slip stitch and finish off (60 rev sc)





This (clickable) photo shows the hat made in Caron Simply Soft Brights. For the Mango/Red version I followed the pattern, but used an H hook for a child sized cap. I used an I hook for the Peacock/Grape hat, but the bright colors make it look very different from the original "manly version".

This is an original copyrighted pattern. Please feel free to use it for personal and/or charity use. You may link to this pattern, but please do not post it elsewhere without permission. Thank you.


14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so nice! Great job.

Blogger Bonnie said...

Miss Worm,

I had the pleasure of going through all the pics in your blog. What beautiful work you do! I have crocheted for 33 years and don't think that I even come close to the quality of work you do. When I get moved once again, I am hoping that all of my crafting projects can get into one place so I can begin again to do what I love best: crochet. I will also be starting to quilt as I will be living near my parents and my mother and her quilting guild have asked me to join. Could be because when it came to their Christmas gift exchange, I put my mother's last name as mine? What a good laugh for all. :)

Bonnie > kids8_61@yahoo.com

Blogger Wormie said...

Thanks, Bonnie!
Good luck with your move!

Quilting - there is something I would love to try my hand at someday. I don't know if I have the skill or patience, but I do love quilts!!!

Blogger Nicole said...

Hello Wormie -

I love this hat! I made one yesterday for my neice for Christmas. I hope you don't mind, but I did link it to my ravelry.com page. If it's a problem, please let me know and I'll take it down.

Thank you,
Nicole

Blogger Wormie said...

Hi Nicole!
Why would I mind? I'm delighted that you like the pattern.
I looked at your blog too - your daughter is adorable!

Blogger Christy said...

Hello,

I made this hat because its the first "guy" hat that I liked. I am having trouble with my hats, however,(and not just this pattern). They all come out smaller than they should, so that I have to add rows to make them big enough. Could you help me out with this? Does it have to do with my stitching? Thanks for any advice.

Blogger Wormie said...

Hi Christy!
I'm glad you like this pattern.

If you're having a hard time with all your hats being small, it could be that you crochet very tightly. The easiest way might be to just go up one hook size - that way you can follow the pattern, but your stitches will be a bit larger.

I'm no expert, but that's what I would try.

Happy Holidays!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wormie,

I totally agree that the best bet for Christy would be to go up a hook. Hats are my absolute most favorite thing to crochet and I have TONS!

When I taught my daughter (10) to crochet, her stitch was so loose, she had to go down 2 hooks from the one i used in order for it to be anywhere near "hat" sized.

All that being said, I crochet fairly tightly also but really enjoy the look of the smaller stitches. I also love the snugger feel of a cap crocheted on a smaller hook. So, rather than going up a hook, I just add the extra rows - no biggie.

Good Luck Christy!

-Brooke S

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for a simple, easy pattern to make a hat for someone this Christmas. I had just completed a scarf and had just enough time to do a quick hat before Christmas. I used this pattern and couldn't believe how nice this hat turned out. It turned out beautifully. Thanks for posting this pattern!

R. Martinez

Blogger Cindy Jo said...

Hello! I have been jumping from one website to another to gather hat patterns, hoping to make a ton with all my yarns to donate to a nearby hospital for chemo patients. I love this pattern and thank you very, very much for it. While I was here, I started reading some of your posts and love them. You write so well and I appreciate you sharing a bit with the rest of us.

Blogger Leah351 said...

Hello Wormy! You do exceptional work. I am interested in the hat pattern for the pink/peach hat with the little flower on it than is to the left of the Ava hat. Could you please direct me to the name of the hat and the pattern? Thanks so much! Lea

Blogger Wormie said...

Thank you, Lea.
I believe that you are looking at the Rose is a Rose hat. This is not my pattern. If you go to that blog post and scroll through the comments, you will find a link to that hat.
I agree - It's sooooo cute!!

Blogger Unknown said...

I just made your pattern in lily sugar and cream cotton yarn with size h hook. Pattern was very well written and easy to follow. This is my very first attempt at a hat, and it fits beautifully!

Blogger Wormie said...

I'm so glad that you like it, Michael! I love making hats, and am glad that your first one fits!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG