Thursday, November 02, 2006
Embrace Shawl


























In my last post I talked about my new "Embrace" shawl. Here are pictures and patterns. It's a very simple pattern and will work as one size fits most. You can easily adjust the length and width of this pattern to make larger or smaller versions.

This pattern has not been tested, so if you find any problems or have any questions, please let me know.


Embrace Shawl

Supplies
TLC Amore ( 3 skeins main color, 1 skein contrast color)
I used Seaglass for my main color and Lagoon Print for contrast
K Hook (5.5mm)
2 buttons for pockets


turning chains do not count as your first hdc throughout

Back

Row 1: Chain 96, hdc in 2nd chain from hook and across to end, ch 2 turn (94 hdc)
Row 2: HDC in each chain across, ch 2 turn (94 hdc)
3-64: repeat row 2, end and finish (94 hdc)


Left Side

Row1: Chain 39, hdc in 2nd chain from hook and across to end, ch 2 turn (37 hdc)
Row 2: hdc across, 2 hdc in last stitch (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (38 hdc)
Row 3: hdc across, ch 2 turn (38 hdc)
Row 4: hdc across, 2 hdc in last stitch (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (39 hdc)
Row 5: hdc across, ch 2 turn (39 hdc)
Row 6: hdc across, 2 hdc in last stitch (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (40 hdc)
Row 7: hdc across, ch 2 turn (40 hdc)
Row 8: hdc across, 2 hdc in last stitch (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (41 hdc)
Row 9: hdc across, ch 2 turn (41 hdc)
Row 10: hdc across, 2 hdc in last stitch (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (42 hdc)
Row 11: hdc across, ch 2 turn (42 hdc)
Row 12: hdc across, 2 hdc in last stitch (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (43 hdc)
Row 13: hdc across, ch 2 turn (43 hdc)
Row 14: hdc across, 2 hdc in last stitch (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (44 hdc)
Row 15: hdc across, ch 2 turn (44 hdc)
Row 16: hdc across, 2 hdc in last stitch (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (45 hdc)
Row 17: hdc across, ch 2 turn (45 hdc)
Row 18: hdc across, 2 hdc in last stitch (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (46 hdc)
Row 19: hdc across, ch 2 turn (46 hdc)
Row 20: hdc across, 2 hdc in last stitch (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (47 hdc)
Rows 21-64: hdc across, ch 2 turn (47 hdc)


Right Side

Row 1: Chain 39, hdc in 2nd chain from hook and across to end, ch 2 turn (37 hdc)
Row 2: 2 hdc in first stitch, hdc across (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (38 hdc)
Row 3: hdc across, ch 2 turn (38 hdc)
Row 4: 2 hdc in first stitch, hdc across (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (39 hdc)
Row 5: hdc across, ch 2 turn (39 hdc)
Row 6: 2 hdc in first stitch, hdc across (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (40 hdc)
Row 7: hdc across, ch 2 turn (40 hdc)
Row 8: 2 hdc in first stitch, hdc across (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (41 hdc)
Row 9: hdc across, ch 2 turn (41 hdc)
Row 10: 2 hdc in first stitch, hdc across (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (42 hdc)
Row 11: hdc across, ch 2 turn (42 hdc)
Row 12: 2 hdc in first stitch, hdc across (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (43 hdc)
Row 13: hdc across, ch 2 turn (43 hdc)
Row 14: 2 hdc in first stitch, hdc across (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (44 hdc)
Row 15: hdc across, ch 2 turn (44 hdc)
Row 16: 2 hdc in first stitch, hdc across (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (45 hdc)
Row 17: hdc across, ch 2 turn (45 hdc)
Row 18: 2 hdc in first stitch, hdc across (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (46 hdc)
Row 19: hdc across, ch 2 turn (46 hdc)
Row 20: 2 hdc in first stitch, hdc across (increase one stitch) ch 2 turn (47 hdc)
Rows 21-64: hdc across, ch 2 turn, finish off (47 hdc)


Attach contrast color to any stitch:
sc around entire edge (do 3 sc in each corner) to finish edge.

Assembly
Whip stitch front panels to back panel
Lay out flat on a table and line up all corners

Measure down 10 inches from the shoulder and whip stitch the sides together for 2 inches.
This will form a very loose sleeve, but leave the sides open.

Front Ties
Make ties using your contrast color
I created my ties using a spool knitter - I made 12 cords 12" long and sewed them to the front
(you can also create ties by attaching the yarn with a slip stitch and chaining for 12")

Pocket ( make 2)
Row 1: ch 22, sc in 1st st frm hook and across, ch 1 turn (21 sc)
Row 2: 2sc in first stitch, 19 sc, 2 sc in last stitch, c1 1 turn (23 sc)
Row 3: sc across, ch 1, turn (23 sc)
Row 4: 2sc in first stitch, 21 sc, 2 sc in last stitch, c1 1 turn (25 sc)
Rows 5-23: sc across, end main color, turn (25 sc)
Row 24: switch to contrast color, sc across, ch1 turn (25 sc)
Row 25: BLO sc across (back loop only), ch 2 turn (25 sc)
Row 26: 12 hdc, ch 1 (for button hole) , 12 hdc, ch 1 turn (24 hdc & ch1 space)
Row 27: BLO sc across (back loop only), ch 1 (25 sc)
Row 28: sc across - do not end off (25 sc)
Row 29: with wrong side facing, sc down side, across bottom, up side, end off


Position pockets and sew on with yarn or matching thread.
Position buttons under the pocket button holes and sew on.

You're done!

This pattern is copyrighted and provided here for personal and charity use only. This pattern may not be sold or published to other websites or electronic mailing lists, etc. Please feel free to link to this pattern on this site. Thank you.



23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nicely designed! It looks like it would be very warm and comfy. Great job!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI, IM DWYNN,
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO CONVERT THIS SHAWL TO KNITTING PATTERN? HOW MANY TO CO THE NEEDLES & WHAT SIZE NEEDLES TO USE?
THANK YOU

Blogger Wormie said...

Hi Dwynn,
I would love to help you, but I don't knit.
It should be fairly easy to convert. The back is a rectangle and the front is two smaller panels - leave space in between for the the neck. Then just trim around the edges and add the ties.
Good luck!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I just made this shawl but with a few changes....I sitched the sides together and added sleeves. It makes a wonderfully warm sweater jacked.

I do have one question though...do you crochet tightly? I crochet rather loosely I think, because I had to stop at row 59 because it is HUGE on me lol, but then, I am 5'3". I still love it though, thank you for the pattern!

Blogger Wormie said...

Hi Paige,

I'm glad you like the pattern! I'd love to see a photo of what you've done with it. I have made them also with stitched sides - I think it stays on easier that way - but I never added sleeves.
I don't think that I crochet all that tightly, but this is very loose and baggy - like a poncho. I'm sure that if I added sleeves and closed the sides the way I wrote the pattern, it would be very very baggy. It's an easy enough pattern to modify, so I'm glad that you were able to make it work for you! :-)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Sarah.

This is a lovely shawl! My mother is in a nursing home and I'd like to crochet a shawl/shrug for her - since she's in a wheel chair, it would be easiest to put on and wear if it had an abbreviated or shortened back. I'd like to try your pattern... is the back crocheted lengthwise or widthwise? In other words, do I need to use fewer stitches or make fewer rows to shorten the back?
Thanks!

Blogger Wormie said...

Hi Sarah,
I'm so glad that you like this pattern! I designs it when my MIL was going in for surgery. I wanted something that would be easy to put on and take off in bed or a wheelchair, and that wouldn't slip off if the wearer used a walker.

The back is worked side to side, so you could easily shorten it by doing just enough rows to cover the shoulders. I hope it works well for you!!!

Wormie

Blogger tendermother said...

I am trying the Embrace Shawl tonight, as I need to work on something for myself, since I am always making items for charity.

Blogger tendermother said...

I am going to make this for myself. I make items for charity and decided it was time to make something for myself. Once I get it done, will send a picture link.

Blogger craftybegonia said...

Good job! It looks so warm and comfy! And you know what? those pockets are a nice place to drop your hook when the phone rings, I'm always misplacing mine (LOL)! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wondering what the measurement is from side to side, as you have it in the pic. Knowing that would help me in making any adjustments to width. Thanks.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am trying to make this and I am not sure do you hoc in the turning chain? I didn't understand when you said the turning ch doesn't count.

Blogger Wormie said...

I'm sorry it's not clear. The turning chain does not count as a stitch, so you want to start the next row in the very first stitch of the previous row - don't skip it.

Anonymous Ruth, Canal Fulton, Ohio said...

I'm going to make this! May shorten it a bit but it would cover my shoulders and I can easily adjust for my larger upper arms. It's just perfect, easy, and exactly what I've been looking for. Easier than a shrug, which I couldn't find to fit my arms. Again THANKS for sharing your lovely patterns.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it,, can't wait to begin working on one.. I have a old one similar to this only it is a lot longer and doesn't fasten under the arms to make a sleeve..not handmade,,, a gift... I have about worn it out this will replace it nicely,, thanks much...

Blogger Wormie said...

I'm so glad that you like it!
Thank you!

Blogger Cece's Creationz said...

I love this and I think it will make a lovely bed or lounging jacket. When at my sister's house we get up and have a cup of coffee and check email on our computers while lounging in the recliners....this would be a perfect cover-up over jammies.

Blogger Unknown said...

I am going to try this pocket shawl very soon. I have some tan, blue and ecru camo colored yarn and will be making the 2nd color a royal blue or brown, depending on my mood. I would like to know what it would take to also add the sleeves. I can do everything, but need to have it written down rather than just making it up as I go along. Thanks. My email address is: Dragynl8y@gmail.com Lisa Hayes

Blogger Wormie said...

Hi Lisa,
I never made this with sleeves, so I can't give you instructions. The one in the picture doesn't have sleeves - the width of the shawl gives the illusion of a cap sleeve.

Anonymous Sandy said...

Hi. Great Shawl especially for elderly (ties). I belong to my church's ministry knitting/crocheting group called Heavenly Needles. Look forward to making this with & without long & short sleeves. I make wheelchair lap robes & this will be a great addition. Thanks so much.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awesome shawl, it's just what I was looking for & Thank you so much for allowing us to have your pattern. This one will be just for me I don't have any website, blogs etc. I crochet for family & a few friends. It's really perfect!!!
Susan ~ Sunny California Oxnard ":)

Anonymous Wanda said...

hi, love the look of your creation and i'm working on the back piece now..however i was just re-reading the whole pattern and was wondering what was the purpose of the increase stitches on the side pieces on the first 20 rows? .. thanks

Blogger Wormie said...

the front pieces are crocheted from the top down, so the increases are to make the V-neck.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG