Saturday, June 17, 2006
Get the Funk out of my face
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

"Get the funk out ma face
Get the funk out ma face
You don't like my music
You don't have to use it
Funkin' is a thing that all of us release
You don't have to get it
All you do is let it
Then tell us our funk did you some good "

by The Brothers Johnson



Today I was in a bad funk - stressing over decisions, frustrated with my crochet projects ( my brilliant idea from yesterday is less brilliant than I had hoped). A gray and rainy day. Hubby and I ran out to the supermarket and while waiting to make a left turn, we looked to the right and saw a woman without an umbrella sitting at the bus stop in the pouring rain. She was drenched and the bus wasn't in sight. Hubby is an angel and couldn't stand seeing her get soaked, so we made a quick right turn and asked her where she was going. She didn't speak English, but she managed to communicate that she was taking the bus to the mall. We told her we would take her. She didn't want to get into the car - not because she was scared of us, but because she didn't want to get the car seat wet. We let her know that a little water wasn't going to hurt anything, so she got in. The mall is only a few miles away, and that's where she could transfer to the other bus. It was no big deal for us, but it seemed like a big deal to her. With the few English words she knew, and the few Spanish words that we knew, we managed a conversation. She was so grateful, and this tiny, easy little act of compassion, made such a difference to her. I had 3 umbrellas in the car and gave her one to keep when we dropped her off at the mall. She was so appreciative and we felt so good that we could help her out.

When we finished our errands and came home, I put aside my projects and made the blue chemo cap in the photo to send to the pediatric oncology unit at Roswell Cancer Institute. I was going to start another hat, when there was a message on one of the Yahoo groups that I belong to. A young single mom has a newborn who is full term, but tiny. She doesn't fit into any of the newborn clothes that she had, and the mom's aunt was asking if anyone could help with preemie clothes. I was able to quickly make the little preemie dress in the picture. I don't know if it will fit her, but if it doesn't it can go to another preemie.

Sometimes the best way to get out of a funk is to do something nice for someone else.


2 Comments:

Blogger @Leslie said...

Awwwww. Love the dress, love that you help people out. Love love love.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful thing you did for that lady in the rain. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. Hugs to the two of you!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG