Friday, May 05, 2006
Lulu Bear

I've been crocheting like a crazy yarn lady for over a year. The house is too small for my yarn. My yarn containment system runneth over. I didn't realize the extent of my addiction until I made Lulu bear.

Lulu was made from a pattern on the Bernat website. I made her for Brian's niece who is expecting her first baby in July. I started my version using Bernat Denim Style yarn, and the pattern was working pretty well.

I finished the body and was struck with horrible dispair. My bear looked like a big lumpy pink eggplant. In the style of a young child in the midst of a temper tantrum, I decided to give up and make a different bear. I pouted. Brian convinced me to go on. The first leg looked like a deformed chicken drumstick. It wasn't going well.

I decided to skip the legs and put on her snout and nose. OMG! She was cute. She looked like a pathetic little baby harp seal! Two eyes, two ears, two arms and two legs later, I had finished the first crochet project that was actually hard for me to part with. I packed her up and sent her and some baby clothes off to Indiana.

It was a turning point for me. Maybe I'm getting serious about this crochet stuff. I have a list of patterns that I can't wait to try, and I've been rolling around the idea of trying to create some of my own patterns.

So, I'll be posting me triumphs and my disappointments, and I welcome comments. If you comment, I ask two things. Be nice, but please be honest. I see some things that people made and I know they worked really hard on them, but, well....how to say this....they're butt ugly. A different choice of yarn could make all the difference in the world. So, when I post something so awful that you can't imagine that it has a right to exist (and I'm sure I will) please let me know that somewhere I made a bad judgement call. And when I post something as adorable as my Lulu Bear, you can tell me how cute she is because, frankly, I already know but I still like to hear it.

I'll have my ups and downs - stay tuned for this years Mother's Day gift. Not sure what to think of that yet.


Oh - and I already know that I'm spelling challenged, so you can make fun of my spelling and my typos, but remember, spelling is NOT one of the top ten most important things in life.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love LULU!
With what is she stuffed?

Blogger Wormie said...

She's stuffed with regular fiber fill from the craft store. :)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG