Tuesday, May 09, 2006
It is good to be a hooker. It is better to share your talent!
Crochet is a great hobby and I love it, but what I really love is making things for others. In Florida I don't need many sweaters and scarves, but I have so much fun making things to give as gifts. Most of what I make isn't for friends, though. It's for charity.

Crochet for charity is really rewarding - its a way to do something that I love and maybe make a tiny difference in someone elses life - someone dealing with challenges and who could use a smile.

Here is just one of MANY heart-warming stories about generous crafters. Google for "crafting for charity" and you'll find many organizations in need of donations, and many groups of crafters who produce goods for charity.

I crochet chemo caps for Roswell Park Cancer Institute, and baby/preemie things for the Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital. I also send things to other groups based on postings I see in some of the on-line crafting for charity groups that I am a member of.

If you crochet, knit, or sew you may want to consider crafting for charity. There are so many charities to choose from! Whatever cause moves you - whether it is for kids, seniors, an illness, supporting our troops, animal shelters - there are so many in need, and so many opportunities to use your talent to help.

I try to be generous donating money to various charities, but there is only so much money around and is seems that even my most generous donation makes just a tiny dent in the need. When I donate my crafts, I don't cure cancer, but I, hopefully, make a difference for one person or one family. It feels good.

Give as generously as you can - your money, your time, and your skill. Sometimes it is very hard to get involved or find the time or money to help, but we all can make a difference one hat at a time.

Feel free to post your favorite chatity groups in the comments section.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG